Friday 16 May 2014

Feel good cycling story

I cycle a lot. I try to cycle everyday. I do not commute to work, I simply try to get a ride in everyday before I start work. This ride, to me, is the equivalent of others starting the day with a coffee. Just as the people starting the day with a coffee may get grumpy if they miss their morning coffee, I tend to get grumpy if I miss my morning ride. 

This morning's ride was a special one. A good friend of mine came off his bike six months ago. He broke his pelvis and collarbone. For the past six months, he has gone through metal plates and screws being inserted, to rehabilitation with walking. During this whole time he has not complained, much. 

Then came the news, he has a new bike and is ready to ride it. Our whole group felt the elation one normally witnesses when your team wins. We just all could not stop grinning. This morning was his maiden ride on the new bike and comeback. You could not wipe the smile off his face or ours for that matter. 


Welcome back Steve. Thanks for reminding me why I love cycling and for placing a slight reality check into me becoming grumpy if I miss a morning ride. 

Stay safe on the roads. 


No comments:

Post a Comment